birding-aus

Possum trapping and releasing

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Possum trapping and releasing
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:51:53 +1000
What you say is possible, but my understanding is that the law isn't very
old (a decade or two) and was put in place because of concern for the
welfare of the possums being moved, rather than concern for where they're
being moved to.  If you move them to a place where there are possums, the
new possum has a very high mortality.  I guess if you relocated the possum
in suitable habitat where there were none, some damage could occur
(although I think it's both unlikely that such places exist within driving
distance of urban Australia, or that damage would occur, given that habitat
destruction and fragmentation is the probable cause of such pockets
existing anyway).  On the other hand, I know that efforts to restore
forests in the midlands of Tasmania faced serious problems with possums
eating the new saplings, which can be an issue in forestry operations as
well.  However I doubt many people would drive that far to release possums,
and people in those kinds of places tend to just shoot them (with or
without permit).

Jeremy