birding-aus

Possum trapping and releasing

To: "Nikolas Haass" <>, "Bill Stent" <>, "Richard King" <>
Subject: Possum trapping and releasing
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:51:05 +1000
Greetings All,
I agree that this is a good forum to discuss this issue and those who are not interested can hit the delete button.

My experience from spotlighting in the one area very frequently is that dumped male possums never survive but females may do so at the edges of suitable territory. The reason I am able to come to this conclusion is that we have two different subspecies of Brushtail here with different colours and skull shape.

Bill, I put put up the nest box first. If one can throw some rags into where the possum sleeps or wipe up some urine with it and then add the rag to the box that will speed up use of the box.

Not all suitable hollows or dens are used every night in the forests around here. While urban Brushtails may have high site fidelity that is not the case of rainforest possums. Even in the city you may find that while you have possums every night they may not be the same ones. It is also very easy to miss accounting for the nights when you do not have possums. Absence is not something most people register instinctively except for the necessities of life and whisky. (oops, tautology)

I don't think that the lady deserves a medal. It would have been kinder to euthanize it unless she had recently created suitable habitat where the animal was being released.

Regards,
Alan

Indeed possums aren't birds but it is certainly NOT a bad example to discuss this here. I am often shocked how ignorant birders are when it comes to other creatures. By the way, the best 'birds' of the last two SOSSA pelagics I posted yesterday were mammals!

Nikolas