birding-aus

Possum trapping and releasing

To: "'Bill Stent'" <>
Subject: Possum trapping and releasing
From: "Richard King" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:10:22 +0800
Sorry Bill, I probably misunderstood a little. If you install a possum box,
that's not bad, the animals have a good chance. I thought it might just be
the case of plugging up the roof hole and them dumping the possum in the
street. They wouldn't last long before getting run down by a car or killed
by some cat or dog. It would be better for it to have a chance in the forest
or at least provide some food for hopefully native predators, like owls.
Still be part of the 'natural' ecosystem, even if it means returning
nutrients to the forest, instead of some pest controller putting it down and
dumping the body or rotting in the street after something kills it.

A fair part of my yearly zoologist work involves animal relocations (often
bandicoots), usually for DEC, to selected locations (eg fox baited). These
locations may have local animals (often in reduced numbers), but at least
these new animals have a chance, instead of dying under the blade of a
bulldozer.

Richard

  _____