birding-aus

Possum trapping and releasing

To: <>
Subject: Possum trapping and releasing
From: Bill Stent <>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 05:52:19 +1000
I had an interesting - if very short - conversation on the bike ride home last night.

I was coming up the path from the Fairfield pipe bridge over the Yarra (Melbourne), which passes through a bit of bush. Ahead of me I saw a woman emerge from the bush, carrying a wire crate. I caught her just as she was loading the empty possum trap into a van, with with the name of a landscape design and construction company written in large letters on the side. I asked her "was that a possum you just released?" She paused for a moment, looked me up and down and said, "maybe".

Without anything else I could do, I said "good answer" and rode off.

According to the Department of Sustainability and Environment, here in Victoria, "Possums may be trapped, but only to remove them from the roof. They must be released on the same property within 50 metres of the capture site. Licensed wildlife controllers are also authorised to trap possums, (see Yellow Pages under pest control) but they will not relocate them to another site."

I have a possum trap and have caught possums inside my house, and have released them at my front door. Where we were, there are no houses within at least 400 metres.

What can be done about this? I know that what I saw cannot be taken as evidence in anything, it's simply my word against hers.

I wrote down the name of the company as she drove off.

Bill