birding-aus

future prospects for the environment

To: Dave Torr <>
Subject: future prospects for the environment
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:40:40 +1000
Given that thousands of commonly used materials are derived from coal and oil -
other than fuel for vehicles and greasing industry, I don't think we can argue
that it does not matter too much if coal, oil etc are depleted.  A world
without plastics would soon seize up.  There are plenty of good reasons to
conserve oil other than just the energy product, and these other uses alone
justify every effort to move to alternative forms of energy.
Conservation of all resources as well as the natural world and species in it
just makes good sense.  It does not make good sense to take things to the point
where they are just hanging on - and just to try to stay relevant to this
discussion site, the world is better having an abundance of all birds rather
than many rare ones just hanging on.

And, on the point that predictions of doom in the past have proved wrong
doesn't mean that eventually we will not exhaust things to the point that
digging deeper, processing more efficiently, etc, will not stop them running
out.

Peter Morgan