birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 30 Jul 2012 01:31:22 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 29 Jul 2012.

Sun 29 Jul King Parrot Gardiners Creek, Box Hill South
A pair of King Parrots flew through today, my first sighting in the area, but perhaps expected in winter ?
simon starr

Sat 28 Jul Weebill Princes Hill, Melbourne
Single Weebill calling from a tree near the north-eastern edge of Princes Park.
Inka Veltheim

Thu 26 Jul White-bellied Sea-eagle Murchison
Adult flying south over the centre of town at 8am.
Geoff Park

Wed 25 Jul Speckled Warbler Helipad track, Suggan Buggan
2 birds observed in National Park area, close to freehold boundary fence, feeding on ground. Photographed through windsceen.
Roger Bilney and Forestec Students

Fluttering Shearwater, Australasian Gannet Offshore from Hampton
Further to observation yesterday off Sandringham, this morning the rafts of Fluttering Shearwater were much closer to shore and visible from Hampton Beach. A minimum of 1800 birds were counted. Also 350 Australasian Gannets including 250 inshore near the yacht club in a huge feeding flock, with some birds diving for food within 2 metres of the beach. The feeding frenzy was joined by 30+Pied Cormorants and over 200 Little Black Cormorants.
Sean Dooley

Tue 24 Jul Barbary Dove Brighton: Green Point
One fairly confiding bird close to where they nested in the past and the second record since the last Brighton pair was removed by the DPI in February 2011. I will arrange monitoring in case there is a pair. Where do they come from?
Michael Norris

Wonga Pigeon Pakenham Road, Cockatoo
Wonga Pigeon observed on our property. Only the second sighting in the area by us in thirty years.
Asha & Brenna Billing

Red-necked Avocet Cheetham Wetlands
Flock of 200 plus Red-necked Avocets in the northern-most section of Cheetham Wetlands.
Andre Dreyfus

Pink Robin St Kilda Botanical Gardens
This is the 4th time that I have seen a Pink Robin in this highly urbanised area in one month. As usual it was seen in the garden beds around the Queensland Kauri. It was also there yesterday afternoon.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Rose Robin Porepunkah
Rose Robin (1) Male - first we have seen at home.
Linda Hayes

Fluttering Shearwater Offshore from Sandringham
A conservative estimate of 1200 Fluttering Shearwaters resting on the waters in great rafts that looked like oil slicks from a distance. Also 150 Australasian Gannets on the water too.
Sean Dooley

Fiordland Penguin Melbourne Zoo via Blairgowrie
A photo of the penguin found last week at Blairgowrie. Has been identified as a sub-adult (born 2011) bird.
Deb Crosby

Sun 22 Jul Sacred Kingfisher Cohuna 10' Cell
Sacred Kingfisher spotted at Taylors Lagoon on Birdlife Echuca outing. Also one Intermediate Egret. (Moderators note: Although not common in winter, a few Sacred Kingfishers can be found overwintering in northern Victoria during this season).
Malcolm Cousland

Rufous Bristlebirds, Pink Robin Point Addis
Rufous Bristlebirds (2) in the sandy car park on the right going toward the point. Pink Robin (1) female in the same car park area. Both seen around 5pm.
R. Bruce Richardson

Sat 21 Jul Freckled Duck, Banded Stilt, Gull-billed Tern Nth Pioneer Bay, Western Port
Western Port Bird Survey with Pat Bingham and Carol. Highlights - 5 Freckled Duck, 14 Banded Stilt, 6 Gull-billed Tern, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 20 Bar-tailed Godwit, 1700 Grey Teal, 500 Red-necked Avocet.
Brian Thomas

Silver Gull Main Street Alexandra
Single bird wandering around the main street shopping centre in the morning looking very lost. It is only the second I have seen around the town in 45 years here.(Moderators note: There are a few records of Silver Gulls at Lake Eildon to the east).
Bob Tate

Tue 17 Jul Fiordland Penguin Blairgowrie
Found on the beach with an injured wing/flipper. Now at Melbourne Zoo and feeding well.
Deb Crosby

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.