birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 16 Jul 2012 01:31:38 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 15 Jul 2012.

Sun 15 Jul Black Falcon Little River
Black Falcon flying along side Princes Hwy near the Little River turn off. Good views in great light...
Ed Williams

Southern Giant-Petrel Lorne Pier
Southern Giant-Petrel (1) Dark morph juvenile wans loafing about 100 meters from the end of the pier at 12.40pm when we arrived. It stayed in that vicinity occasionally raising and lowering its wings. It flew out to sea at 1.30pm. Also White-capped Albatross out to sea.
Hedley Earl

Swift Parrot Moonee Ponds Creek, Moonee Valley
One heard calling on the Moonee Ponds Creek near Brunswick Road.
Chris Lester

Sat 14 Jul Southern Giant-Petrel Lorne Pier, Lorne
1 single imm bird around pier. 1230hrs. Flying off occasionally before settling back on the water.
Adrian de Leiros

Brolga Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Brolga (1) Single Brolga in swamp land (sanctuary) at the end of 29 Mile Rd on right hand side just before the gate to Commonwealth Area.
Hedley Earl

Oriental Pratincole Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Thanks to some great assistance from Mark Bennet, David and Glen we managed to get this interesting picture this morning.
Hedley and Irena Earl

Oriental Pratincole Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Around rocks on the North shore of Summer Pond, South of Austin Road, mid-morning.
Alan Crawford & others

Fri 13 Jul Swift Parrot Connewarre, corner of Lake and Stacey's Roads.
Single bird flying low and westerly, 1320hrs.
Tom Fletcher

Black-tailed Native-hen Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
7 birds seen on far bank of Austin Road Pond 1 as we were leaving app 5.00, having sighted he Oriental Pratincole during the day. Other highlights were White-bellied Sea-Eagle and Black Falcon (both seen twice). Also Banded Stilts in same pond as hens.
Arthur Carew, John Stirling and many others

Pink Robin St Kilda Botanical Gardens
An update on this bird at this site.A female Pink Robin was seen again foraging around the Queensland Kauri and also under the Jacaranda near the ornamental pond. It was accompanied by a single Brown Thornbill and a possible second robin heard but not seen.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Sooty Shearwater St Ronans Well, Narbethong
This bird was found on the road obviously blown well off course or some other unknown reason. I had trouble getting a positive ID until recently when I sent the pictures to Chris Tzaros who positively did so. Unfortunately it died the next day. (Reported on 1 May but published now as identity has been confirmed).
Bob Tate

Thu 12 Jul Oriental Pratincole Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
No scope for me so gumboots it was down the West side of the lagoon South of Austin Rd. Located the bird a few hundred metres in, near a solitary dome-shaped bush. Observed for about 15 minutes. Then flushed by Swamp Harrier to Northern shoreline, where I located it again.
Jackson Airey

Oriental Pratincole Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Seen on the north west bank of Pond 2 thanks to Steve Davidson (and his scope) who was there showing Julie from Brisbane. He has a sixth sense in knowing where to find birds. He then showed everyone else where it was who hadn't seen it.
Wendy McWilliams

Wed 11 Jul Spotted Harrier Sub-Juvenile Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Bird flushed near Borrow Pits and observed for about 10 minutes not sure of its identity until consulted Hansard at home.
Colin Johnson, Helen O'Donald, Murray Grant

Tue 10 Jul Blue-faced Honeyeater Melbourne Zoo
Seen in the Aus Bush Exhibit area, definitely not a collection bird. May be the one seen a few weeks ago.
Peter Courtney, Curator Birds and Native Mammals per Deb Crosby

Oriental Pratincole Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Single bird seen on NW bank of Summer Lagoon 2 (off Austin Rd) - thanks Steve Davidson for pointing us in the right direction. 15-20 Blue-winged Parrots in same area. 4 White-necked Herons on 29 Mile Rd near Austin Rd gate, 8 Freckled Duck on first pond in from Beach Rd Gate (4 on "Freckled Duck Rock"), adult Sea-eagle on Little River
Dave Torr, Christine Shelley, Iian Denham, Peter Gibbons

Mon 9 Jul Oriental Pratincole Austin Rd, Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Good views late in the afternoon of a single Oriental Pratincole along the shoreline of the pond to the south of Austin Rd (thank you Luke for showing me the site).
Mel Mitchell

Fri 6 Jul Red-tailed Black Cockatoo Harrow
Nice surprise Friday evening when travelling from Little Desert NP to Hamilton via Harrow when near the golf course we stopped to find 50+ Red-tailed Black Cockatoos drinking from the roadside puddles right next to our car!
Claire & Ziggy Wolinski

Thu 5 Jul Cape Barren Goose French Island
Pair sitting on 5 eggs at a farm dam, Tankerton Rd. Note: Cape Barren Geese have increased enormously on the island in the last 10 years. We estimate that there are now about 300 birds on the island, perhaps less half consisting of breeding pairs. The island has no foxes! :-)
Chris Chandler

Tue 3 Jul Cape Barren Goose Bullock Swamp, French Island
6 Cape Barren Geese, and also 38 Cattle Egret.
Mick Douglas, per Chris Chandler

Mon 2 Jul Banded Lapwing Batesford, near Geelong
One flying over at 0800 hours
Chris Chandler

Sat 30 Jun Masked Owl Egans Lane, Newham
Heard calling around house paddock in late June. He described the call as a 'harsh grating call' and in years gone by he has seen it calling around his house under the verandah lights.
Laurie O'Connor per T.Fletcher

Sat 23 Jun Blue-winged Parrot Elsternwick Golf Course
A pair flying low through the course heading East. They were considerably smaller than Red-rumped Parrots and their call was a perfect match to the Blue-winged Parrot. call on the BOCA CD.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.