birding-aus

RE- SEA EAGLE CATCHING SEAGULL IN MID AIR

Subject: RE- SEA EAGLE CATCHING SEAGULL IN MID AIR
From: PennyDB <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:05:13 +1000
Regarding numbers (up or down) of White-bellied Sea-Eagles on the NSW Central Coast and whereabouts, on a recent trip up the Hawkesbury River, 5 - 7 May from Brooklyn to Peat's restaurant and beyond, I saw a pair at Brooklyn, a pair with 2 juveniles opposite Milsons Island and another pair further up river not far from Borowra.

Perhaps there is an excellent source of prey in the river and the air - certainly quite a few Silver Gulls around and there were many people fishing.

Patrick,

A basic rule in ecology is that the prey controls the predator, not the
predator the prey.

In other words: Much prey - good time for the predator.Shortage of prey - bad
time for the predator.
If predators would control their prey, this cycle wouldn't work.
Unfortunately there are exceptions; certain species in man-made or
man-influenced habitat and - of course - man itself...

In other words again: There are White-bellied Sea-eagles around as long as
there is abundance of its prey. It is not the White-bellied Sea-eagles who
reduce their prey - it is us!

I hope the real ecologists out there are not going to punish me for this very
simplified statement!

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass