birding-aus

SEA EAGLE CATCHING SEAGULL IN MID AIR

To: <>
Subject: SEA EAGLE CATCHING SEAGULL IN MID AIR
From: "" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:00:07 +1000
 BirdLife Australia Southern NSW again this year has started its study of
the WBSE nesting at Sydney Olympic Park. This is our forth year with HD
video cameras recording the full breeding cycle.

Each year we do see the eagles bring young Silver Gulls back to the nest.
This starts when the eagle chicks are about six weeks old, till they fledge
at about twelve to thirteen weeks. It has happened each year, but we have
not seen them catch gulls at other times, not to say that it would not
happen. They appear to like young gull, or they are easer to catch.

To see the live video stream (sorry about the adds) www.ustream.tv/seaeagles
we have only one cam running at the moment but are working on the PTZ and
expect to have it running next week.

This year the eagles have built another new nest which is about 75 meters
from last years nest.

Regards

Geoff Hutchinson

Message: 6