birding-aus

RE- SEA EAGLE CATCHING SEAGULL IN MID AIR

To: "'Nikolas Haass'" <>, "'patrick appleton'" <>, <>
Subject: RE- SEA EAGLE CATCHING SEAGULL IN MID AIR
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 16:02:10 +1000
The energetics of pursuing, capturing and digesting prey also needs to be
taken into account by the predator.

A potential prey species might be locally abundant, but the predator may
have to spend a lot of energy to chase and eventually capture it. Therefore,
a predator needs to select prey items that require the expenditure of as
little energy as possible to capture and digest, and which provide maximum
nutritional and energy benefits.

If gulls were a common food source for WBSEs, my guess is that a WBSE
soaring overhead or nearby would cause the gulls to take to the skies to
escape potential danger. Gulls are quite aerobatic and, when they are in a
flock, I would imagine it would be difficult for a WBSE to capture one
quickly.  Therefore, there is a risk of the WBSE using up too much energy to
capture a gull in comparison with the energy it would gain from consuming
one (if it is lucky enough to capture a gull).

I remember many years ago observing a Peregrine Falcon harassing a small
flock of airborne Welcome Swallows at Kanidal Beach (Eyre Bird Observatory).
The swallows swooped and swirled in a tight flock, and just aerobatically
out-manouevred the diving Peregrine.  This continued for several minutes
before one swallow made the fatal error of separating from the flock and
flying in a straight line out over the ocean.  Seconds later, it was taken
successfully by the Peregrine. The question that immediately came to my
mind:  was it worth the Peregrine doing this?  I don't know, but it would
have spent a lot of energy harassing the swallows and I suspect the reward
(one swallow) did not provide much net energy and nutritional benefit in
return.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW