birding-aus

Beautiful Firetails in western Sydney

Subject: Beautiful Firetails in western Sydney
From: E Finley <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:32:05 +1000
Hi all

I was interested to see a couple of recent records of this great little
species in western Sydney listed on Eremaea. Edwin Vella mentioned that his
17 Jun record and another from Keith Brandwood were the only records he was
aware of for western Sydney. In the 1970s, probably around 1978, as a very
young birder I was excited to find this species and get very close views on
a family friends' property at Kenthurst in thick melaleuca scrub along a
creek line in open forest where Red-browed Finches were common and
Double-barreds also present. I don’t recall exactly which street this
property was on. With a lot of large properties and quite a bit of natural
vegetation remaining in this area, a lot of it on private land, and north
to the Hawkesbury through areas like Maraylya, Cattai National Park,
Mitchell Park and Maroota/Canoelands to the east, its quite possible the
species still survives in Sydney's northwest.

Do other Birding-aus readers have records from the Sydney area other than
the known populations to the south in Royal National Park and further west
in the Blue Mountains?

Eric Finley