birding-aus

Beautiful Firetails in western Sydney

To: <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Beautiful Firetails in western Sydney
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:17:13 +1000
Eric,
When I was gathering records for a report on birds of Greater Southern Sydney -
see the link here
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/threatenedspecies/07471tpagssvol2pt4birds1.pdf
I obviously managed to obtain a few records from Western Sydney, though I could
obviously validate few though this usually meant they were historic (often
Museum records) or spatially inaccurate (and often both). I actually recall
being surprised at how few records were from the Blue Mountains (though our
study area didn't cover all potential sites). I wrote the profile and still
believe this species is probably declining and is worthy of listing on the
Threatened Species Act.
However, they certainly do move about and turn up in the odd strange spot - I
personally saw them near the swamp (can't recall the name) in Seven Mile Beach
NP near Shoalhaven Heads - I am not aware of any other records from that area
and at the time I thought it was odd habitat.
Cheers,
Peter