birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 23 Jan 2012 01:30:57 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Jan 2012.

Tue 17 Jan Broad-billed Sandpiper & possible Western Sandpiper Nairns, Coodanup, Western Australia
I went to Nairns this morning to look for the possible Western Sandpiper photographed by Craig Lester on 7th January 2012. Craig was there when I arrived and had not seen the bird since the 7th, despite visiting the site up to 3 times a day since. I arrived about 08:00 and left at 09:20 and saw: Red-necked Stint (400++), Curlew Sandpiper (20+), Bar-tailed Godwit (11), Red-capped Plover (10++), Black-winged Stilt (6), Common Greenshank (4), Broad-billed Sandpiper (2) very good views, Grey Plover (1), Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (1) and Fairy Tern (9). So no WESTERN SANDPIPER, but of course it could be hanging out with the rest of the stints wherever they are (South Yunderup? Lake McLarty? Creery Island?).
per Frank O'Connor

Mon 16 Jan Possible Western Sandpiper Nairns, Coodanup, Western Australia
I went down to search for the possible Western Sandpiper this afternoon from 6:00 - 7:30pm, which had been seen and photographed by Craig Lester on 7th January. I did not locate it and conditions were expectantly appalling (30knt wind and high tide). Red-necked Stints were approachable, only about 400 though. Many were hiding in the samphire were not visible no doubt. A single Sharp-tailed Sandpiper was also present with the RNS's.
Nathan Waugh per Craig Lester

Sat 14 Jan Possible Grey Nightjar Christmas Island Airport , Christmas Island
On Tuesday night, I tried the Christmas Island airport for nightjars. No response to the call of Savanna Nightjar. But when I played the call of a male Grey Nightjar, a bird flew straight over my head calling loudly but its call was very different. I couldn't get the torch on it fast enough so I did not see it. I could hear it calling over the far side of the airport, and there seemed to be possibly a second bird calling. But the other people I had been on the Cocos Islands with arrived yesterday, and we went to the airport at dusk. At about 18:50 after I had played the call of Grey Nightjar, a nightjar 'floated' past. It did not call. We did not get on to it. However 10 or 15 minutes later it flew past again. Again, it did not call. This time we got a small LED torch on it. No easily discernible markings. A medium sized nightjar. We waited about another 20 minutes but did not see it again. We finally quit and had dinner, and then returned to our accommodation and grabbed our respective field guides of Asian birds. All six of us came to the same conclusion that it was a female Grey Nightjar. The SE Asia field guide by Robson notes that the female Grey Nightjar makes a different call, and the 'description' of the female call is the only nightjar call described in our field guides that could be interpreted to sound like what I heard. I am the only one who heard it call.
per Frank O'Connor

Mon 5 Dec Black-tailed Native-hen Marglu Billabong, Western Australia
Black-tailed Native-hen (10) Black colouring, olive beak, black tail flicking, red legs. Observed for more than 30 minutes on exposed mud. After 50mm rain.
Erica Shedley

Sat 3 Dec Semipalmated Plover Simpson's Beach, Broome, Western Australia
George Swann just phoned to say that he saw the Semipalmated Plover on Simpson's Beach yesterday.
George Swann per Mike Carter

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe