birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 9 Jan 2012 01:31:20 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 8 Jan 2012.

Sun 8 Jan White-bellied Sea-eagle Iluka WA 6027, Western Australia
Spotted swooping over the park lake with large fish and ducklings present. One bird only was observed. Will attempt to photograph this afternoon.
Edward Pritchard

Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo Point Henry Bridge, Western Australia
Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo (8) Out of it's usual range, however they have been seen around Perth suburbs over the past 6 months
Bruce Wedderburn

Wed 4 Jan Pectoral Sandpiper and Long-toed Stint Lake McLarty, Western Australia
Four Pectoral Sandpipers and three Long-toed Stints were the migratory wader highlights from Lake McLarty today.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Sun 1 Jan Pectoral Sandpiper, Red Knot & Black-tailed Godwit Lake McLarty, Western Australia
Three Pectoral Sandpipers, one Red Knot and three Black-tailed Godwits were highlights today at Lake McLarty. Unable to relocate the Broad-billed Sandpiper (Red-necked Stint numbers much lower than 30th December).
John Barkla & Alison Street

Tue 27 Dec Budgerigar Billabong Roadhouse, Western Australia
While driving, we noticed these clouds up ahead in the distance and our first thought was smoke, then locusts. As we got closer, we realised that the clouds were hundreds and hundreds of budgerigars! What a treat to be able to witness this spectacle! It was immediately adjacent to the Billabong Roadhouse, on the Brand Hwy about 5.45am. Those lucky people must get to witness that every day. Probably twice a day! Surprisingly, not one other vehicle stopped to have a look while we were there. We both felt so blessed to encounter it. Absolutely amazed! There were quite a number of Zebra Finch, a Harrier or Falcon of some sort, and numerous Ravens ready and willing to attack and eat the budgies that got water-logged and had to swim to the sides.
per Amy Flatt

Tue 20 Dec Noisy Scrub-bird Cheynes Beach, Western Australia
Very vocal bird seen well on a couple of occasions in the heath opposite the camping ground along the road. It woke me up at 5am (a great wake up call)! Much easier to see than at Two Peoples Bay (as the heath is not as thick). Other birds seen included, Red-eared Firetail, Rufous (Western) Fieldwren, Southern Emu-wren, Brush Bronzewing. What a fabulous birding location!
Charles Hunter (Sydney)

Mon 19 Dec Western Whipbird Cheynes Beach, Western Australia
It took me 3 hours (from 1pm - 4pm) standing in the same spot but I had (brief) success. Seen in hakea just off the 4WD road that leads up from boat ramp area (about 150 metres up, right on the coast). Bird was calling well. Note: I did not hear other WW birds calling in any other areas.
Charles Hunter

Western Bristlebird Two Peoples Bay, Western Australia
Single bird seen in car park bewteen 6am and 7.30am. Noisy Scrub-birds heard calling (not seen). Brush Bronzewing also seen nearby (calling).
Charles Hunter (Sydney)

Sun 18 Dec Rufous Treecreeper Porongurup N.P., Western Australia
Single bird seen well in the carpark. Western Yellow Robin also seen.
Charles Hunter

Western Corella (r. pastinator) Rocky Gully, Western Australia
Large flock in the fields near the centre of town. Very vocal.
Charles Hunter

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe