birding-aus

NOTICE: Application for Permits at Leanyer Sewage Farm, NT

To: Denise Goodfellow <>
Subject: NOTICE: Application for Permits at Leanyer Sewage Farm, NT
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:26:16 +1000
Denise,

Should I pack a Bio-hazard suit if I plan to visit Leanyer?

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

On 24/09/2011, at 6:32 AM, Denise Goodfellow wrote:

Most birders are pretty responsible when it comes to dealing with crocodiles
and other threats, when they know about them.  There is the odd one who
behaves recklessly or feels that the natural world should fit in with them
rather than the other way round.  But mostly it's ignorance that springs
from people coming from a low-risk environment (crocodile-wise, that is).

To give an example a relative and I took Jonathon Franzen to a waterfall in Arnhem Land. To our horror he squatted on the sand a few metres from the water's edge. He'd obviously not noted the signs around Gunbalunya of the
"big hungry crocodile" lurking there.  By sitting down he'd made himself
bite-size.

Una and I were only a short distance away from Jon,  and we immediately
raced towards him, yelling at him to get up.

However, there are other threats at the Leanyer Sewage Ponds such as
mosquitoes (I caught Ross River there some years ago), and various organisms in the soil and water eg cryptosporidium and giardia. So as a guide I warn people about putting things on the ground there. I also carry alcohol hand wash and ask people, to not touch their mouths, and to wash their hands well
on arriving home.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow B.A. Grad.Dip.Arts
1/7 Songlark Street, Bakewell NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate (Southern Cross University, NSW)
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia’s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com
http://www.facebook.com/Wildlife.Tourism.Australia
http://wildlifetourism.org.au

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him
to hold in higher regard those who think alike
than those who think differently."
(Nietzsche)