birding-aus

Amalgamation

To: <>
Subject: Amalgamation
From: "Reg" <>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 19:53:35 +1000
Hi

A brief reply to Dr Graeme Hamilton.

1. I contacted BASQ in 2009 and requested assistance in identifying
conclusively the scrapes of the BBBQ in a different area that was going to
be developed.  I received no reply so I did not take up Dr Hamilton's
suggestion this time.
2. Dr Hamilton, on his own account, received an urgent request for
assistance (along with multiple copies of a 15 page brief)  in Mid August
2010, but did not reply until I contacted him in January 2011.  He did not
even acknowledge receipt of the material which took me considerable time and
some expense.  He did not tell me of any steps that he had taken. After that
I became tied up in the Development Appeal before the Planning and
Environment Court and did not contact Wingspan etc.  I really wanted to contact
BOCA members to tell them not to give up their organisation.
3. If BASQ is going to do anything useful it better be in the next
fortnight.  There is not much they can do at this late stage but in two
weeks all the new evidence will have to be in.  I'll be happy if they
contact me offering assistance but I won't hold my breath.
4. I was contacted by a reporter soon after I sent away the brief to BA.
Co-operating at all was a mistake as the story was distorted and inaccurate.
If Dr Hamilton took offence at that, it would have assisted if he had
contacted me rather than cut off communication.  I wondered if that was the
reason that he had not replied.
5. Dr Watson has completed his report now.   If people want to read it I
will email them a CD.  (It's about 30 Mb)  See what you think.

BA has been of no assistance in preserving an Important Bird Area from
development even though the Recovery Plan for the Black-breasted
Button-quail  puts habitat protection as the first priority.  It has failed.
We need BOCA as the smaller, poorer organisation did help with publicity
which helped in fund raising

And we need to win the case which is not as certain as Dr Hamilton seems to
think.

Reg Lawler