birding-aus

Ground floor lorikeets

To: Andrew Thelander <>
Subject: Ground floor lorikeets
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:37:26 +1100
G'day Birders

Andrew asked:

Has anyone seen lorikeets nesting particularly low?  I know that budgies
will nest on the ground when all the available hollows are taken.

Last year we had a pair nest in a Long-leaved Box, with the entrance only 60cm from the ground. As best I could tell they did not raise their young, as did a pair nesting in a Red Stringy-bark hollow at 1.3m.

Cheers

Mike
Michael Tarburton