birding-aus

Ground floor lorikeets

To: "" <>
Subject: Ground floor lorikeets
From: SEARLE Jason <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:44:12 +1000
Hi

I have over the past few years noticed several low nests of rainbow lorikeets
in the area around Currumbin Sanctuary.  Some are in the bases of Melaleuca
trees (as close as 10-20cm above the ground). The best was a pair that nested
under a concrete slab in Kropp Park at Currumbin about 100m from the beach.
The slab was in the middle of a mowed parkland near the kids playground - the
birds appeared to have dug out the sand under the slab, which formed the
foundation for a picnic table.  I noticed them there every time I took my kids
to the playground over a period of about 3 weeks.  The numerous people using
the picnic table didn't seem to deter these birds ...

There were concerns that nesting hollows were in high demand and a limiting
resource in the area around Currumbin Sanctuary, I don't know if that explains
the low nests in this area ... ?

Regards JS