birding-aus

Re: Pursuing the Great Outdoors

To: <>
Subject: Re: Pursuing the Great Outdoors
From: "Ian & Carla Jackett" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:24:12 +1100
Dogs tend to crush, rip and tear causing horrific wounds and internal
bleeding, whereas cats puncture and scratch.  Both will cause a bacterial
infection if not treated and that could lead to death.  I know of a number
of cases of town dogs getting together and packing and then going off on a
hunting spree terrifying macropods and possums and often leaving them to die
a slow death from severe injuries. Our old neighbour's dog was often free
and came into our yard and killed some of our free range chooks.  I agree
they should all be secured both day and night or kept under a very watchful
eye.  It would be good to see stiffer penalties for cat owners as they do
not seem to be penalised on the same scale as dog owners.

I have two dogs that have a large fenced enclosure and we also have an
invisible fence which works in conjunction with a special collar.  It is
operated by solar and if the dog gets too close to the fence (a cable around
the yard on the ground), they first get a beeping sound as a warning and if
they go further they get a small electrical zap!  If they go further still
they get a longer and a little more powerful zap.  It doesn't take long for
them to be trained in this way and they will now drop to the ground as soon
as they hear the first beep.  This is not harmful in any way to them, and it
is a great system when you want your dog to have some time with you while
working out in the yard or a good game of Frisbee!

Regards,

Carla Jackett

Re: Pursuing the Great Outdoors

from [
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfr
om%3Acarlsclifford%40gmail.com&idxname=birding-aus&sort=date%3Alate> Carl
Clifford]

[Permanent
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=birding-aus
&i=E9091FE2-BA28-4960-A554-674A413DAFA8%40gmail.com>  Link][Original
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=bir
ding-aus&m=2010-11&i=E9091FE2-BA28-4960-A554-674A413DAFA8%40gmail.com> ]

< >, < >

Re: Pursuing the Great Outdoors

Carl Clifford < >

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:00:32 +1100

And should not dogs be treated the same? After all, there is considerable
evidence that that species also has considerable deleterious effects on
avian populations. And they present with pretty much the same injuries as
cats and I imagine to pretty much the same degree.

Before I get stomped on, I love cats (to the point of paying to have 2
air-freighted to New Zealand and back 4 years later) and I like dogs. I made
a decision some 10 years ago not to "keep" any pets on environmental and
ethical grounds.

Carl Clifford