birding-aus

NSW Ostriches

To: "'Peter Shute'" <>, "'Chris Sanderson'" <>, "'Tony Russell'" <>
Subject: NSW Ostriches
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:11:54 +1100
I would imagine the only way one could age an ostrich would be by examining
feather development, bone ossification and body size of juveniles and
immatures (like any other bird species), but once they are adults it would
be difficult (impossible?) to age them. I'm happy to be corrected on that
one.

I understand that farmed ostriches can be aged according to the quality of
their meat. Not much help if you're trying to age wild ostriches from a
distance!

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW