birding-aus

A plea for the Atlas oif Australian Birds

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: A plea for the Atlas oif Australian Birds
From: "James O'Connor" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:48:56 +1000
Hi,

While we're encouraging everyone to submit their sightings to various websites,
I would encourage everyone to submit any sightings of any birds to the Birds
Australia Atlas. This is the national repository for our collective knowledge
about birds' distributions, seasonal occurrences, movements, and population
trends. It is widely regarded as the best continental-scale biological dataset
in Australia, and one of the best in the world.

It is used as the basis for listing recommendations through the IUCN Red List
and the EPBC Act.

It is used to inform the annual State of Australia's Birds Reports.

It is used as the basis for or contributes to a great number of peer-reviewed
scientific papers. It can be mapped against other data layers to produce
habitat modelling, and will increasingly be used to analyse birds responses to
climate change, land use change and other disturbances.

It is used to analyse local and regional population trends, reports on which
often have management and conservation implications, and which have the
potential to influence government policy and land managers' decision making for
the betterment of our birds.

It is used by consultants to inform environmental impact assessments.

In 2010, Birds Australia is in the process of enhancing the Atlas project to
ensure that our data is used even more widely and is more accessible to its
contributors. We are working to make Birdata a hub through which various bird
datasets can be streamed. This will make it easier to submit data and reduce
the data entry burden on contributors.

The best way to ensure your sightings data is put to good use is to submit it
to the Birds Australia Atlas.

Cheers,

James O'Connor

Research Manager

Birds Australia

Suite 2-05, 60 Leicester St

Carlton  VIC  3053

email:

Ph (03) 9347 0757

Fax (03) 9347 9323

Toll free: 1300 730 075

Website address: http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au

Atlas website: http://www.birdata.com.au

ABN: 87 004 076 475

Australian Partner of BirdLife International