birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 01:31:16 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 16 May 2010.

Sun 16 May      Red-browed Treecreeper Genoa Peak (near Mallacoota)
Several seen and others heard - the most common treecreeper on Genoa
Peak on this day.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

        Eastern Reef Egret Bastion Point, Mallacoota
A single grey morph Eastern Reef Egret, seen on rocks at Bastion Point,
Mallacoota
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

        Striated Heron Gipsy Point (near Mallacoota)
Seen on far shore of little inlet 300m north-west of Gipsy Point
boatramp in the early morning. Bird was initially flushed by our
approach by canoe, and flew from shore to branches of tree. Good views
were had for 15 minutes, although the bird was very flighty.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

        Swift Parrot You Yangs
Excellent views of Swift Parrot (3 to approx 25 birds at a time) behind
the visitor centre down towards the park entrance. Look for flowering
gums in the sun early morning up to 9.30am. Trust your eyes and look for
the red tail feathers. Hard to spot early am - birds silent and look
very dark. Found they warmed up (like we do!) later on - active site -
truely stunning. Plenty of Musk and Purple Crowned Lorikeet as well.
Later visit that morning to the WTP picked up one solitary Brolga,
several Zebra Finch and plenty of male Musk Duck display.
Eve Flain, Tania Ireton & Visitor Wayne from Cairns

        Swift Parrot Baileston Historical Reserve, Baileston
A definite count of 14 (10 + 4), but there were possibly more. They were
constantly moving around in Ironbark & Grey Box and were very difficult
to count. The count of 14 was based on 2 groups in different parts of
the reserve, with 10 together and a few minutes later on the other side
of the reserve a separate 4. Other birds flying around could possibly
have been from these 2 groups, but are likely to be additional birds.
Eleven other species of parrot made it a memorable day.
John Barkla, Fred Smith & Alison Street

        Swift Parrot Heathcote-Graytown National Park
Good numbers of Swift Parrot throughout park in flowering Ironbark.
Tim Bawden

        Swift Parrot, Grey-crowned Babbler, White-eared Honeyeater,
Scarlet Honeyeater Killawarra Forest
Swift Parrot: only 2, down from a few dozen a few weeks ago, at North
West Lane. Grey-crowned Babbler: 2 along Forest Rd, not seen here
before, small groups seem to persist around the forest edges.
White-eared Honeyeater: first record for the forest, in sapling
Ironbarks near Mattamia Rd. Scarlet Honeyeater: at least twenty birds
near Irishtown Track, 3 male, the rest female or maybe immature.
Bronzewing Birding Services

Sat 15 May      Southern Whiteface 5 km North of Axedale
A pair of Whitefaces are feeding young. I would have thought this was
early.
Marlene Lyell

        Black Falcons Moolort Plain
A pair of Black Falcons seen circling above a paddock that was being
burnt by a farmer. The paddock was at the base of the hill leading out
of Carisbrook. Several Black Kites were taking mice as the rodents fled
from the fire.
Gary Oliver

        Lewin's Rail, Brown Quail Cheetham Wetlands
About 8am I saw a Lewin's Rail peeking out from under a bush beside a
channel, about 200m south of the mouth of Laverton Ck, and could hear
another. On the way out I flushed a large group of Brown Quail.
Peter Shute

        Cattle Egret Mt Eliza - Nepean Highway
A flock of 10-15 Cattle Egrets feeding in farm paddocks on Port Phillip
Bay side of Nepean Highway between Mt Eliza and Mornington. These same
birds have been in the paddocks for the past 2 weeks, our first sighting
of this species on the Mornington Peninsula.
Judy and Keith Humphreys

Fri 14 May      Spangled Drongo Nyerimilang Park
Seen on Whistling Kite Track just inside the treed area.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

        Black Kite, Swift Parrot Newport Lakes Park
Black Kite: Single bird drifting high overhead from north (1). Swift
Parrot: two maybe three, including one seen foraging in flowering
Flat-top Yate, Euc. occidentalis (2).
Steve Davidson

        Scarlet Honeyeater Lakewood Reserve Knoxfield
Male and female feeding in a mixed flock of New Holland and White-plumed
Honeyeaters, Eastern Spinebills and Golden Whistler.
Anthony Bushell

Thu 13 May      Southern Boobook Bourke Rd, Red Hill
Heard calling at approx 9:30pm.
Ben Sinclair

Wed 12 May      Swift Parrot Bealiba Lake
At least 6 (possibly more) Swift Parrots in flowering Yellow Gum on
eastern side of the lake.
Steve Clark

        Pallid Cuckoo. Hoppers Crossing 3029. (Outer residential
Werribee)
Single adult bird observed at 1220hrs, perched in a large Casuarina in
my yard. My attention was drawn to the bird by the protests and alarm
calls of White-plumed and New Holland Honeyeaters. My only other records
in this area are four years ago, when Cuckoo unfortunately killed itself
flying into window at home and another bird observed two years ago at
Truganina Cemetery, about 5kms n/e of my home. Both of these sightings
were late Spring early Summer.
Peter Gibbons.

Tue 11 May      Cattle Egret Trafalgar
At least 30 Cattle Egret were feeding among cattle close to the Princes
Fwy a few kilometres east of Trafalgar in Gippsland.
Andrew McCutcheon

Mon 10 May      Australian Spotted Crake Macleod Morass
Highlights from today's EGBOC outing at Macleod Morass included 2 Pied
Cormorants and good sightings from a most obliging Australian Spotted
Crake. 14 Black-fronted Dotterels, 10 Little Grassbirds and 9 Golden
headed Cisticolas were observed along with unusual sightings of a
Scarlet Robin and Rufous Fantail along the tree lined management track
due south of the Bairnsdale saleyards.
Len Axen on behalf of 18 fellow EGBOC members

Sat 8 May       Swift Parrot and mixed woodland birds Heathcote-Graytown
Nat Pk
A wonderful array of woodland birds inc Swift Parrots, many Speckled
Warblers & Red-capped Robins, Southern Whitefaces, Painted Button-quail
& male Rose Robin.
John Newman & Tim McKellar

Fri 7 May       Southern Boobook Point Cook coastal park, Point Cook
One bird seen around third carpark being hassled by Singing and New
Holland HE's as well as Willie Wagtails and Red Wattlebirds. Moved on a
few times but continued being harassed. Observed for 15 - 20 minutes and
was still being harassed when I left, poor thing.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com/birdingoz)

Thu 6 May       Scarlet Honeyeater Lakewood Reserve Knoxfield
A single male feeding (on insects?) with New Holland Honeyeater, Red
Wattlebirds, a Grey Fantail and Brown Thornbills in acacias 3m beyond
the Watersedge Close entrance to the reserve; when I first saw it,
without binoculars, I thought Eastern Spinebill; then the red flash on
the throat suggested Mistetoebird, but bins revealed Scarlet Honeyeater.
I have lived in Knoxfield for 38 years and have never seen this species
nearer than Mallacoota!
Anthony Bushell

Wed 5 May       Blue Faced Honeyeater Heidleberg
The bird was sighted on two consecutive days feeding on a flowering
eucalypt located near Warringal parklands at the Greening Australia
office in the mid afternoon. The bird was witnessed by a number of
different people and was being harrassed by noisy miners.
Greg Maher

Sun 2 May       Grey Goshawk white morph Main Yarra Trail, along
northern perimeter of Petty's Orchard
One bird seen on both 2 and 3 May at about 11:00 am in the trees along
the Yarra River.
Maarten Grabandt

Sat 1 May       Black Falcon Carisbrook end of Moolort Plain
A pair of Black Falcons circling very high over a paddock being burnt.
Several Black Kites swooping in on mice as the fire moves slowly. Good
day for a photo shoot!
Gary Oliver

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .