birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 01:31:07 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 30 May 2010.

Sun 30 May      Swift Parrots Van Loons Nursery 405 Grubb Rd Wallington
( 5KM N/E Ocean Grove.
At 3-45pm today 5 Swift Parrots were observed in flight over the Nursery
heading N/E.
Denis Wayne Sleep

Sat 29 May      White-bellied Sea-Eagle Braeside Park
Being harried by ravens (1).
Gavin Masters & Mal Chicksen

Fri 28 May      Spotless Crake Lilydale Lake
(2). Observed from wetland boardwalk
Gavin Masters & Mal Chicksen

        Brush Bronzewing, Hooded Plover Yambuk Coastal Reserve
River entrance closed at present, Hooded Plover feeding along river edge
where it meets sand berm. Plovers nest here, according to Moyne Shire
Environment Officer. Brush Bronzewing flushed from Leucopogon / Acacia
longifolia soph habitat on trail beside the river from the Yambuk slide
carpark. This site was completely destroyed by floods in the 1940s where
the river took the shortest route to the sea and removed a whole dune
system. Since then coastal processes have rebuilt the dunes and they
have naturally revegetated.
Lisette Mill

Wed 26 May      Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Junortoun, 7am.
Single Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo flying towards Bendigo, screeching
while being harassed by four magpies. We heard this bird well before we
observed it, a lovely sound.
Tim & Jodie Stirling

        Tree Martin Burnley Gardens
Not a species I recall seeing often in the inner city. About a dozen
birds hawking over the gardens and experimental fields with 2 Welcome
Swallows. (12).
Lawrie Conole

Mon 24 May      Swift Parrot You Yangs (info centre car park)
Swifties still present - approx 40 birds seen this morning feeding in
Yellow Gums and being harassed by Red Wattlebirds.
Grace Lewis & Craig Morley

Sun 23 May      Flame Robin Mud Islands, Port Philip Bay
2 Flame Robins feeding on the beach on the south-west side of the
islands. Initially not sure if one or two birds present, but later
confirmed two. Other interesting species were Red Knot (36), Grey Plover
(2), Common Greenshank (1), Ruddy Turnstone (3), Red-necked Stint (26),
Double-banded Plover (20), Pied Oystercatcher (5), Australian Pelican
(300 & nesting commenced) and Fairy Tern (32). Surprisingly, no
Bar-tailed Godwits present.
John Barkla, Alison Street and Annette Hatten

        Crested Shrike-tit Melbourne Zoo - Elephant Paddocks
Crested Shrike-tit on the edge of the elephant paddocks at Melbourne Zoo
yesterday - first time I have seen it here in well over 50 visits.
Stephen Kaye

Sat 22 May      Brown Falcon Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
We saw several gatherings of three and four Brown Falcons while driving.
On the coast track we saw seven Brown Falcons perched on fence posts and
one on the track. They flew off and re-assembled further east; this time
with eleven perched on fence posts and one on the track. One was feeding
and left three very dark grey feathers still partially covered by
quills.
David Clark

        Scarlet Honeyeater Pound Bend, Warrandyte State Park
The Saturday MELBOCA Beginners Outing to Pound Bend produced an
unexpected view of an immature male Scarlet Honeyeater feeding with
other species on unseasonally flowering Yellow Box on the ridge part of
the track. Although there are still sightings reported from lower down
the Yarra, enquiries so far suggest this is the first for Pound Bend.
Full list on MELBOCA website soon.
Hazel and Alan Veevers

Sun 16 May      Orange-bellied Parrot Western Treatment Plant, werribee
I had the pleasure of seeing my first Orange-bellied Parrots this
morning (just before 9.00am). A pair flew up from the reeds as I drove
past in the car. I had a very brief close view (and heard the
distinctive alarm/flight call - which I subsequently verified from
recordings when I got home) and then saw them fly off north westerly. I
drove to nearby where I saw them come down and waited around for about
90 minutes but didn't get another sighting. Other highlight of the
morning trip for me was good numbers of Zebra finch. Saw the odd pair in
various places and then a small flock of at least 10 on Austin Rd.
Stephen Kaye

Tue 11 May      Orange-bellied Parrot Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Two parrots flushed from elevated track. Nice bird for Dave's 500th.
Also White-fronted Terns at Kirk Point and Double-banded Plovers at
Western Lagoons.
Graeme Brown and Dave Bullock

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .