birding-aus

Birding-aus a forum?

To: alan mcbride <>
Subject: Birding-aus a forum?
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:02:49 +1100
Hi Alan
I agree with you - no point killing something just because you don't like it
(digest mode), but that's not what I said, so I disagree with your analogy -

Quote: "This is a bit like saying "I don't catch the bus because I have no need
for it, so let's cancel it"!" Unquote

My point (made also by others before me) was that it would very likely BENEFIT
the community as a whole.

I think it a little unfair to tell someone publicly not to comment when you
haven't read their post properly (no real offense taken :) - we do this all to
often these days.

So again - benefits would include:
-all responses being linked to the same thread
-receiving individual messages would cut down on time taken responding, making
it less awkward, thereby encouraging people to contribute to discussions and
respond to RFIs
-etc.
I think the advantages probably outweigh the disadvantages to individuals and
the community as a whole - but that's just my opinion. Perhaps it would turn
people off joining, though if they understood the advantages and how to
overcome any possible disadvantages, I suspect not. I reckon it would
definitely enhance the value of the 'service' (archives included) and make it
more user-friendly too.

cheers

Arwen

Arwen Blackwood Ximenes