birding-aus

Spotlighting

To: "David Adams" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Spotlighting
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:24:00 +1000
Talk of wattage and the effects on animals is a nonsense as I have number of spotlights. the one I use is 30 watts and at least 4x as bright as the 30 watt ones I hand out to my guests.

Animals which are not habituated will indeed turn away form the spotlight. Green Ringtails will hide so well that only an experienced person will see them. some people will have trouble seeing them with a laser pointer on the animal's backside!

By not stressing the animals the possums and some of the tree-kangaroos at my regular site have become used to our presence and ignore a bright light and flash. That animals continue to feed or copulate in the light indicates to me that they are not adversely affected. When mating events are occurring the animals are coming in and out of the light. Males may be chasing each other around and are just as likely to fall when not in the light as when in the light.
Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road