birding-aus

Spotlighting

To: "Dave Torr" <>, "David Adams" <>
Subject: Spotlighting
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:35:33 +1000
I regularly use a 50 Watt portable spotlight and find that it is the ideal strength to locate animals by their eye shine. I have also used a 100 Watt spotlight attached to a car cigarette lighter for vehicle based spotlighting. It is probably too strong, particularly at close range. I have been present when a 50 Watt spotlight with a red filter was used and found it to be quite poor in its success in locating animals. Maybe with experience you get used to the red light but I found it produced a poor beam of light.

The only time that I have observed any negative reaction to an animal being caught in a spotlight beam has been when a gliding Feathertail Glider has been spotlit. It seemed to become disorientated for a short period but was able to land successfully in a bush. This was at fairly close range.

The debate about the negative impacts of spotlighting is a valuable one but from my experience common sense is the most important tool to carry. Once an animal has been detected by its eyeshine the light should be directed slightly away from the eyes to allow vision for a reasonable observation but to avoid a prolonged period of direct light into the eyes.

I would be happy for other experienced spotlighters to disagree with me but I am comfortable that I am not harming any animals by my method.

Greg Clancy
Ecologist
Coutts Crossing