birding-aus

Spotlighting

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Spotlighting
From: Chris <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
A couple more thoughts.

Firstly, I know of spotlight packs that you can purchase with either a 55w
globe, or a variable 5 to 100w globe.

Second, an old farmer, now deceased, recommended that when driving country
roads at night you use your low beam lights, not high beam. He said that high
beam dazzles the wildlife and by the time they hear your vehicle and come to
their senses, they run the only place they can see - which is that nice space
right in front of your vehicle all lit up brightly by you. Low beam, on the
other hand, alerts them to your presence without dazzling them so they can move
out of the way into the bush without having lost their night vision. (I suspect
it also makes you drive slower ;)

Chris.