birding-aus

Painted Button-Quail Blaxland East NSW

Subject: Painted Button-Quail Blaxland East NSW
From: Matt Hughes <>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:06:21 +1000

Howdy,
Yesterday afternoon a male Painted Button-Quail (bird 113 for the home list) was discovered by Mad wandering across the backyard across to the mulched area under the citrus trees / elm tree where it commenced 'plateletting' in the leaf mulch. Over the years we've seen the odd platelette across the road in the bush (Blue Mtns escarpment) & only one bird crossing the road at the bottom of the hill. Didn't think of one turning up in the backyard. We've expanded the mulched area & put in a small pond (needs attention) & have had Bassian Thrush (& sadly Common Blackbirds), Eastern Whipbird & Lyrebirds feeding there.

This reminds me of an amusing episode in that patch of the back yard. I went down to weed the bottom terrace which backs onto a 'wet' gully & noticed weeds on the upper terrace. I though I'd better clear them 1st to stop them seeding & spreading to the bush & headed up & started weeding when I noticed a rake had been left under the leaves. Going over to get the rake I had the feeling I was being watched. Very close to me & where I had stepped over was a Red-bellied Black Snake half submerged in the leaf litter with it's head 'coiled' back. I thought it odd that it didn't scoot away. I bolted up to the house & called the children down as an educational / safety awareness exercise ( the sand pit & cubby house is nearby) to see if they could spot the snake. Ryley & Aly had no probs finding it but Mad came & said he couldn't find the snake but could see the Lyrebird & sure enough there was a Lyrebird it in the branches of the Golden Elm tree overhead (we called WIRES who found the snake to be injured & kindly informed us that if you want to have a poisonous snake in your backyard the RBB was the one to have as it wasn't aggressive & generally meant Browns & Tigers weren't likely to be about).

I suppose if you sit in a spot long enough something interesting will turn up. Matt ===============================