birding-aus

Should Consultants Be Licensed? Should Their reports Be Placed in the Pu

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>, "Carl Clifford" <>, "Birding-Aus Aus" <>
Subject: Should Consultants Be Licensed? Should Their reports Be Placed in the Public Domain?
From: "Ross Macfarlane" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:39:16 +1000
I would agree Chris. I notice the website below links to an accreditation program for Certified Environmental Practitioners which seems to fit the bill of what Carl is arguing for:
http://www.cenvp.org/

By way of analogy: I'm a Registered Safety Professional & Chartered Professional Member of the Safety Institute of Australia ,which is a bit of a mouthful, but puts me in a similar program for OH&S consultants & practitioners. Nevertheless the practitioners are concerned about the ability for someone to hang out a chip as an OHS consultant with little or nothing to back it up. In the last 12 months the SIA & a couple of other practitioner bodies (hygienists & OHS doctors) have put together an alliance & a code of ethics & practice for the industry; this has had active support from WorkSafe Victoria.
http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/WorkSafe/Home/Safety%20and%20Prevention/Health%20And%20Safety%20Topics/OHS%20Professionals/Whats%20happening%20now/

So I would suggest it might be worth finding out from say EIANZ how widely adopted their CEP program is, & whether there is any kind of push to have it adopted or endorsed by the multifarious environmental regulators around this wide brown land.

That, of course, is the rub: trying to get the various bureacracies to embrace something nationally. They're still struggling to do it for OHS legislation (translation: we still don't have a national consensus on the value of a human life?); the chances of them smashing through the gates of time to do it for the environment are not necessarily high...

Cheers,

Ross Macfarlane

RM The Risk Manager, Pty Ltd

)  0417 370 371