birding-aus

Re: Shooting in National Parks

Subject: Re: Shooting in National Parks
From: Jim Smart <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:25:16 +1000
Dear Birding-Aus People,

It looks as if the case for not allowing the Shooters freedom to shoot a wide range of native birds and mammals in NSW is far from won. Here is the report of the deliberations in the ALP party meeting today from the ABC website:

 Rees 'still to be persuaded' on hunting bill

Posted 5 hours 10 minutes ago

The New South Wales Premier has indicated that the Government is not prepared to totally back a bill by the Shooters Party to open up areas for recreational hunters.

The private members bill is due to be debated in Parliament this week and is being opposed by the Greens and the Coalition.

It would allow the shooting of native animals and birds in national parks and reserves and allow the creation of private game parks.

Nathan Rees has told Fairfax radio he remains to be convinced about aspects of the bill.

"Look I'd need to be persuaded that the issues of personal safety, er the issues around native fauna and flora and so on are going to be properly accommodated," he said.

"What I've seen to date, I still have some questions. So It'll be a balanced and appropriate outcome."

My reading of the situation is that the Shooters have included birds such as Top-knot Pigeon, Purple Swamphen and Brush Bronzwing in the proposed list of game animals so that they can then make a "balanced and appropriate" compromise and still achieve their aims, i.e. to be able to shoot all duck and kangaroo species anywhere in the state. I fear that we conservation minded people have lost this argument. The vote has not yet been taken in the NSW upper house. Fred Nile still has the power to have the decisive vote to reject this obnoxious bill.

Cheers,

Jim Smart
East Maitland NSW