birding-aus

Consultant Licensing etc. Redux

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Consultant Licensing etc. Redux
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:54:22 +1000
Dear All,

It seems I started a discussion on a subject that some members of B-A feel passionately about. Interestingly, there has not been a post against the subjects I raised. A couple of respondents thought that I had used too wide a brush in including all consultants, which I did not intend, I actually was referring to those consultants whose work might potentially have a negative effect on the Public Good. In areas where the consultancy may have an adverse effect on Private Goods, well I think it should remain a case of caveat emptor, perhaps with the exception of the various forms of Financial Consultants.

The reason I asked the original questions is that my curiosity was piqued by a ferret through the Malaysian Department of Environment's web site on another matter. I noticed on their home page http://www.doe.gov.my/ , links which led to pages for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) consultant registration, listings of registered environmental consultants and listings of EIA reports for public review, etc. Here is a country which many Australians regard as less than proactive on the environment, often justifiably, with an environmental consultant registration scheme and a process for the public to be able to review reports drawn up by these consultants, yet in Australia, nothing.

I was pleased to see that many in the environmental consultancy industry seem to agree that some form of institutionalisation of the industry is necessary, as is public access to consultants' reports.

Carl Clifford