birding-aus

Consultant Licensing etc. Redux

To: Chris Charles <>
Subject: Consultant Licensing etc. Redux
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:13:01 +1000
Chris,

A few years ago, I would have thought the same thing. I have visited M'sia quite a few times in the last 10 years or so, and have seen a growing grass-roots environmental movement, thanks to the efforts of groups such as the Malaysian Nature Society, WWF, etc. Ordinary Malaysians are realising that there is a real problem with their environment, and have been pressuring the pollies and appealing to the Royal Families, many of who have become very environmentally aware. A couple of years ago I was fortunate to meet the Raja Permaisuri (Queen) of Perak, in Taman Negara, and she was very concerned about environmental problems in the country. The incumbent UMNO party has been losing ground in Parliament, and the former laissez-faire attitude to the environment in the government is also losing ground, so hopefully change is really on the way. I certainly hope so, for the Malaysians sake.

As to your second question "that a registration system in Australia could apply pressure in that direction too?" Well I am not going to prognosticate on what can happen in a society, because anything can happen. Just look at what turmoil occurred in German society in the first third of the 20th C or Greece in between 1967 and 1974.

As to large corporations, well they are regularly shown to be less efficient and competent than smaller competitors, but unfortunately they have the financial reserves to overwhelm the little blokes, but that's economics for you.

Regards,

Carl Clifford