birding-aus

Shooting in NPs

To: <>
Subject: Shooting in NPs
From: "Mark and Mandy Young" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:46:05 +1000
G'day all,

I think it behoves us all to make our selves acquainted with the facts
surrounding this issue.

1). For those wishing to understand in greater detail what this bill is
about that is being introduced by the NSW Shooters Party, it is called the
Game and Feral Animal Control Amendment Bill 2009. A direct link to it is
provided here
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/nswbills.nsf/0/6dce0470707e4f
4bca2575b4001bd3f1/$FILE/b2009-031-d10-House.pdf

2). To lodge your objections for this bill, please write, phone or send an
email to;
Carmel Tebbutt
Deputy Premier
Minister for Climate Change and the Environment
244 Illawarra Road
Marrickville NSW 2204
Phone: (02) 9558 9000
Fax: (02) 9558 3653
Email:

Postal Address:
PO Box 170
Marrickville NSW 1475

3). What concerns me is that the act doesn't make enough of a distinction
about what is shot and where. Rather, the act will allow any of the
animals/birds at any of the locations to be shot. Ie: Black Swans and
Corella's are listed among the list of game animals. If a location has only
1 nesting pair of Black Swans' this act allows for them to be hunted.

4). This act fails to recognise the effect hunting has on other wildlife
species not listed within it.

5). This act fails to make a distinction between a location that has one
species in great abundance, and one that the same species sparsely.

6). This bill does not recognise the importance and value of our native
wildlife and birds. It instead seeks only to make provision for the NSW
Shooter party to be able shoot whichever animals and birds as they have
listed in the act, ON THEIR TERMS.

I think if we all took some time to look at what is being asked by the NSW
Shooters Party in this bill, and what the impact that allowing such a bill
to pass will mean, I can't see how we can sit back and not at the very least
send an email to Carmel Tebbutt voicing our concerns that this bill is not
in the best interests of our native wildlife.

Regards,
Mark Young