birding-aus

Major Australian Rarity - Broome, WA

To: Alan McBride <>
Subject: Major Australian Rarity - Broome, WA
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:31:03 +1000
Hi Alan

Thanks for this.

I got the Eurasian Curlew on the plains right where it was described. It's very obvious in flight and not so obvious at all on the ground, even taking into account the slightly shorter bill, etc.. There's masses of birds on the plains wrapping up breeding events or escaping the higher tides to continue feasting amid the many flooded claypans: an awesome place to be for any nature lover.

Whilst watching the curlew, the Franklins Gull (which I'd seen earlier in the week at the sewer works) landed just metres from us. I got great shots and will post them on my blog in a day or so. Will let you know when it happens.

The entire migration event was awesome. There appeared to be more Broad-billed Sandpiper and Lesser Sand Plover than in recent years and many in excellent plumage. The Common Redshank made a few much appreciated appearances and was suitably snapped (also up on the blog soon) Dowies, etc., were common enough and many in very fine feather. Most had left and we noted quite a number of them departing amid flocks of barwits and blackwits during "Migration Watch" in the evenings.

Will have a full report in the blog.

Happy birding

Ricki Coughlan
Avian consultancy, tours, presentations & Interp. signs

53 Park Avenue
Avalon 2107

p: 02 9918 6590
m: 0400 436 910