birding-aus

Cockatoos!

Subject: Cockatoos!
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:06:08 +1100
Hi all,

some very annoying but interesting behaviour from our local sulphur crested cockatoos recently. In Helensburgh (NSW) they have learnt how to open the lids of our garbage bins (otto or wheely bins) and scatter rubbish everywhere as they rummage through them. So to prevent this I looped a chain through he lid handles, great I thought they can't lift that and it kept them out for a week or so. Then one afternoon I came home to find they had spent the day neatly chopping off one of the handles cutting it through right where it joins the lid and the chain dangling. They still couldn't open it though and as of about 5 days have not returned. Seems to me it shows some level of intelligence to work out if they removed the handle they could remove the chain. Wondering though if it might also be evidence they can't count, that is they did it once, no result so no point doing it again, but without knowing there are two handles to deal with? The bloodwoods (I think a corymbia sp in any case) are in heavy flower around here and the Royal NP right now, so as usual the cockatoos spend time in the trees snipping off the inflorescences and dropping them to the ground otherwise untouched, they don't seem to eat anything just chew them off and drop them to the ground. Often wondered what's in for them to spend so much time snipping away.

regards,

Chris Ross