birding-aus

RFI: NE Queensland Blue-faced Parrot-finches

To: "Troy Mutton" <>, <>
Subject: RFI: NE Queensland Blue-faced Parrot-finches
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:09:07 +1000
Troy,
I have given full instructions to these places before.
From the Gillies Highway at Lake Eacham drive towards Malanda. the third
bitumen road on your left is Topaz Road and signposted to Butchers Creek. Pass the school by a couple of kilometres and take the gravel road towards the Mt Bartle Frere walk. The birds could be anywhere after you pass the lookout. Both forks are worth exploring. No reports yet and I've not had time to go checking. Please give me a call if you find them. 4095 3784

They mix with Red-brows, are slower to disturb but then fly higher. Their call is more metallic than the R-b F. The best sites have bushes and ripe grass seed in contact with each other. B-f P-f like to sit in the bush and feed on the grass. I suspect though that at this time of year they are still spending a lot of time in the canopy eating insects.
Regards,
Alan