birding-aus

RFI: NE Queensland Blue-faced Parrot-finches

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI: NE Queensland Blue-faced Parrot-finches
From: John Moverley <>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:27:09 +1100
Troy,

I returned from a trip to the Atherton Tableland on the 14/11.

I tried Topaz Rd, without any luck. At the time I was just looking at flocks of red-brows. Locals I spoke to did not know of any sightings in that region for this year.

For Mt Lewis, I hired a guide (Del Richards). He taught me a lot about what to look for, but we were not able to find Blue-faced Parrot Finches. He gave me the impression they are not easy, dropping into the grass and disappearing or shooting out of the grass and disappearing. He primed me to expect only a few seconds to located the bird and focus the binoculars.  Local advice was that one one had been sighted so far this year (by Del). He did get me a Black-winged Monarch though, which I had not been anticipating. It was well spotted on his part not to write it off as a black-faced, which it was in company with and he was driving at the time.

Good luck

John Moverley