birding-aus

Log Runners in Southern NSW

To: "'Greg & Val Clancy'" <>
Subject: Log Runners in Southern NSW
From: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:50:18 +1100
I agree with Greg, I once heard what I thought was a Logrunner in Sydney
until I tracked the noise down to find a White-throated Treecreeper happily
calling away on the side of a Eucalypt. I have since heard this call
regularly even in Logrunner habitat and learnt to distinguish the two.
Another call which may even be mistaken for a Logrunner is one sometimes
made by Noisy Miners.
I personally wouldn't record any really unusual sightings If I simply heard
a call, I would make sure I have tracked the culprit down and seen it to be
sure. On the other hand, when I hear common species which I am familiar with
and I know occur in the area I often record them on surveys etc. because I
am certain of their identity, but if I hear something unusual I always try
and see it before I can make any decisions.

Kurtis Lindsay