birding-aus

Log Runners in Southern NSW

To: Rob Geraghty <>
Subject: Log Runners in Southern NSW
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:22:44 +1100
On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 06:39:48PM -0800, Rob Geraghty wrote:
> On the subject of birds apparently out of their normal range, I heard
> what appeared to be Southern Log-runners near Batemans Bay on Monday.
> The forest consisted of tall eucalypts with some rainforest species
> in the understory, and some birds were present which I'm used to
> seeing in or near rainforest such as Lewins Honeyeaters, Lyrebirds,
> White Headed Pigeons and Eastern Spinebills.  Has anyone heard of
> log runners so far south on the NSW coast?  My Simpson & Day field
> guide seems to indicate it may just be at the southern extent of
> their range.  Another possibility is that one of the Lyrebirds may
> be mimicking the call, inherited from long ago or elsewhere.

According to the lovely "Nature in the Eurobodolla",
Logrunner hasn't never been recorded from the area (up to
2006).  Chris Chafer gives records south to the Shoalhaven:
http://users.speedlink.com.au/~cchafer/index.html
I bet some local birders (Joan Fearn from ENHS reads this list)
or visiting Canberra birders would be interested in checking out the
site if its publically accessible.

ANdrew