birding-aus

Pacific Gull

To: "'Tim Dolby'" <>
Subject: Pacific Gull
From: " Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:32:27 +1000
G'day Tim,

I'm not sure that common is the right description for the Pacific gull in
Sth Australia and Western Australia. I have tried to get a handle on
population size for both of those states and the upper figures for each that
I came up with based on available published sources was approximately 187
breeding pairs for all of WA and a measly 142 breeding pairs in SA. The
total population size for WA maybe less than a thousand birds and in SA half
that.
They may be easy to see at Monkey Mia, the Esperance tip, or on the
foreshore at Tumby Bay, but they are very localized and scattered elsewhere.
The SA and WA birds are a distinct subspecies that probably deserves better
protection.

Cheers Jeff.