birding-aus

Many Double-bars in breeding plumage

To: "Baus" <>
Subject: Many Double-bars in breeding plumage
From: "Goodwin, Jason" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:22:19 +1000
All,

My thoughts are that abbreviations are used a little too much on this
forum - especially for users with limited knowledge, but surely if
someone is genuinely confused (rather than trying to make a point) they
can ask - there are enough helpful people on here to sort it out. e.g.
OBP took me some thinking about, because that is the widely used
abbreviation for Olive-backed Pipit in UK, but I got over it pretty
quickly, and this probably didn't confuse anyone else on the forum.

The use of scientific names is not the way forward, aside from taxonomic
debates, the scientific names are normally longer than the common ones,
so people will start using abbreviations - then we're all in a right
mess, with a mix of common and scientific abbreviations. Plus the use of
scientific names will turn off the casual birder by making it all look
rather elitist. The casual observer would immediately be interested if
someone saw a Speckled Warbler, but would have to think twice if someone
reported a Pyrrholaemus sagittate or should that be Chthonicola
sagittate.

Murray Magpie is taking it a bit far if it isn't a common name used
across Australia.

My views are that people should post in a manner that is generally
understood by MOST people on the forum. Lets not have too many rules on
an open forum designed for everyone to use - otherwise we spend more
time talking about the rules than the birds - this post being a classic
example.

Jason