birding-aus

Many Double-bars in breeding plumage

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>, "Evan Beaver" <>, "Graham Turner" <>
Subject: Many Double-bars in breeding plumage
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:54:07 +1000
After birding for getting on for two years I can usually work out what
people mean if they aren't too vague.  I wouldn't have known what a
Murray Magpie was.  I'd almost class that as slang, rather than a common
name, because its usage is likely to be very localised (am I wrong?).

I don't mind if people use any of the names out of the last couple of
editions of the field guides and C&B - you really have to know those -
but beyond that it can get hard to decipher.

Abbreviations ought to be explained occasionally.  Everyone will come
across "OBP" eventually, so they need to know it, but other less common
abbreviations need explaining every time they're used.  Does anyone have
a list of other abbreviations they think don't need explaining?

Peter Shute