birding-aus

RFI re 8x42 v 10x 42

To: "David Kowalick" <>, <>
Subject: RFI re 8x42 v 10x 42
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:16:20 +1000
10x42s should have a 4.2mm exit pupil compared to 5.25mm on the 8x42s,
so in theory shouldn't be as bright in low light.  Has anyone actually
tested this and found it to matter?

I guess the 10x's should be heavier and have a narrower field of view,
but that would depend on the model.  I have a pair of 8x42s and a pair
of 10x50s, but the 10x50s are so ancient that they don't compare in any
way - poor relief, no coatings, close focus long enough to be a
hinderence.

Peter Shute