birding-aus

Urban Bush Thickknees

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Urban Bush Thickknees
From: peter crow <>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:51:28 +1000
Peter

I don't have the time or the interest to look up all the field guides to answer you question but if you should check some world bird lists you "may" find that other birds of the family in distant lands are know as thick knees.

As far as I can recall when BA recommended thick knee there was a major uproar and soon after the name reverted to curlew with the stone prefix to distinguish them from the other curlew the migratory waders or shore birds.

Peter