birding-aus

Cooktown Gull and floods - update

Subject: Cooktown Gull and floods - update
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:34:27 -0800
Further to my posting this morning, I had another look at the water levels on the highway through Mt Molloy at 11 am and the water has dropped to bridge level allowing all traffic to get through. I would think this situation is only temporary - all it means that this has been local water from Mt Lewis. It also means that the main body of water is still to come down the main waterway (Rifle Creek) which on past experiences should get to Mt Molloy and the highway late today or tonight. So if anyone is already travelling through to Cooktown today, I would make the return trip as quickly as possible. I have no idea what the current situation is north of Mt Carbine - there are a couple of streams that run out of Mt Lewis and the ranges to the north which cut the highway. At present, the weather looks (and feels) as if it is building up to more rain - it certainly looks and feels as if there will be more heavy rain again tonight as the Bureau predicts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I would still be inclined to wait until the weather improves before heading to Cooktown. You might get there but you could be marooned for a few days - or worse still caught between rivers if this weather continues.

Lloyd Nielsen
Mt Molloy  Nth Qld