birding-aus

of companion animals and wildlife - especiallyoftheendangered variety

To: "Dave Torr" <>, "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: of companion animals and wildlife - especiallyoftheendangered variety
From: "Karen" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:33:21 +1100
I think it would be wise to keep it general and non-threatening - as Dave mentions, just spreading the message. I'm sure many dog owners would be unaware of the danger their dogs can be to birds. AND I'm also pretty sure almost ALL dog owners would not set out to intentionally have their dogs harm birds. I think many would think that seeing as it is a bird, it will simply fly away and be safe if bothered. The recommendations I'd prefer to see would be for dog owners to watch their dogs more off leash - I don't like seeing owners that just wander off ahead and leave Fido to its own devices, especially as they are meant to be cleaning up after it also; and if they see any wildlife/birds around that they are not confident their dog will leave alone, pop the dog on leash until they are passed. Having a dog that you are confident will do an instant recall back to the owner would be a great advantage - but again, it needs to be watched so you know that you need to call it!

I did a recall when my 14 month old Aussie Shepherd took off like a rocket after some kangaroos that I hadn't noticed were in the paddocks (I usually don't take them out if there are kangaroos around). One firm shout of his name and he instantly did a sweeping U-turn (sweeping because he was going full speed down a hill!) and came straight back to me, sat at my feet and waited for his praise for doing good. It is times like that when you realise that all the hours you put into training are well worth it!!

Cheers,
Karen.