birding-aus

Few birds in Madagascar

Subject: Few birds in Madagascar
From: Margaret Joan Wharton <>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:09:28 +1100
I passed on to Greg Calvert, a biologist and birdwatcher from Townsville, the question about why there are so few readily accessible birds in Madagascar. He replied, " I have also been birding in Madagascar. The reason that Madagascar has so few birds is that 90% of their forests have been burnt and chopped down and the remaining 10% is being hacked down as we speak."

Happy birding,
Joan Wharton  (Cherrybrook, Sydney)