birding-aus

birding Aus postings - what not to do

To: "David Adams" <>
Subject: birding Aus postings - what not to do
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:39:27 +1000
Personally I don't mind the odd touch of humour! But you raise an
interesting point David as to the purpose of this group. Since (as far
as I am aware) there are "Bird Line" sites for most if not all states
on which unusual sightings can be reported then perhaps this should
move more towards a general discussion group and unusual sightings be
posted on the state sites - if course this raises the issue that a
serious "twitcher" then has to monitor several state sites rather than
BirdingAus if they are looking for rarities - but they probably do
this anyway - if I am posting an "interesting" sighting (which I don't
do very often) I am never really sure whether to put it on the
Victorian Birdline or BirdingAus.

As to "irrelevant" threads - I think that in general there is a very
high degree of relevance to birding as whole. Of course some people
may not want to read trip reports or discussions on windfarms or how
to choose a scope - but if you eliminated every thread that someone
thought irrelevant we would soon have nothing left! I regularly use
another Internet discussion group (Whirlpool) for technical/IT issues
and I reckon that - even though it is fairly heavily moderated -
probably only 50% of threads are actually relevant to the subject
matter that is supposed to be discussed in the forum - and many of
them deteriorate into abuse very quickly!
<>