birding-aus

birding Aus postings - what not to do

To: "Terry Reis" <>
Subject: birding Aus postings - what not to do
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:13:02 +1000
While I partially agree with this posting Terry, I think it sets a
dangerous precedent. Yes, some people don't like flippant comments, or
thoughtless posts. Others do though; I for one think it lightens the
mood and allows people to lower their guard and speak candidly.
Don't forget this is an internet forum, for discussion. The moment
people start trying to take sensibilities into account is the first
step toward censorship. I'm of the opinion that if a post annoys you,
delete it, maybe even block the sender if they're a serial offender (I
know I have blocked some posters). But don't ask them to stop, because
in essence you're asking them to change their opinions/reactions to
accomodate your request and reducing the diversity and vibrancy of
what has previously been a good open forum.

Evan

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW