birding-aus

Nesting Rainbow Lorikeets

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Nesting Rainbow Lorikeets
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:38:42 +1000
I was interested to observe a Rainbow Lorikeet fledgling in our back garden
this morning. The nest was in a hollow in a Sydney Red Gum (Angophora costata)
in our next door neighbour's back garden and the bird must have fledged this
morning. This is the 4th winter that we have been here, and Rainbow Lorikeets
(possibly the same pair) have used this hollow each year, but we've never seen
them begin nesting before July.

It's even more amazing that the nestling survived the intense stormy weather of
the last 4 days and the relatively low night-time temperatures of the last
couple of weeks. Today, is a calm, sunny and mild day, which is as good a day
as any for a young bird to fledge. None of our immediate neighbours feed the
birds, but it's probable that the parent lorikeets were fed in other gardens,
which I'm sure would have aided the breeding attempt.

Regards,
Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW